I’m preparing myself for a difficult goodbye.
It is about time to retire a suitcase that has taken me all around the world.
Sometimes the handle goes up, sometimes it does not.
The housing that attaches the handle to the suitcase has come loose and is now connected thanks to a few pieces of duct tape.
This purple Travel Pro 26-inch spinner has been on planes, trains, automobiles, ships, and countless other modes of transportation and because of that, it is kaput.
But because I know the best places to put things and the optimal way to arrange travel cubes inside, getting a new suitcase is like saying goodbye to an old, reliable friend.
My Must Haves
I began the search for a replacement. There a few things my perfect suitcase has to have.
- Spinner wheels: I find it much easier to drag a suitcase at my side than the ones with two wheels that must be dragged behind.
- Bottom handle: Most larger suitcases have handles on the top and the side. A handle on the bottom makes it easier to lift and is a great back-saving thing. This is a must-have on larger checked bags, but optional on carry-on sized ones.
- Outside small pocket: I keep a few things in an outside pocket for easy access. Larger suitcases with just one large pocket don’t work for me.
- Size: My packing cubes seem to fit a bit better in suitcases that are more square instead of long and skinny.
- Protection: While lightweight is good, I need my suitcase to be sturdy. I want some stiffness for protection, solid wheels, good zippers, and comfortable handles.
- Expandable: Sometimes I don’t want to pack as carefully on the way home as I did on the way there or I buy a few things. I like to know I can expand my suitcase if I need to.
These things seem minor, but to me, it’s the little things that make a difference.
Things I Do Not Like
Just as there are things I love about suitcases, there are some things I do not like.
- Hard suitcases: While I like the protection and separation they give, I do not like the space hard suitcases require. Since they open like a book, they take double the space of a suitcase that just has a top that opens.
- Many pockets on the inside: Since I use packing cubes, I’d rather have a large open space with one pocket on the top than something with a bunch of pockets inside.
- Light colors: I love fun colors and patterns, but light colors get dirty easily. Grease and grime from aircraft cargo holds doesn’t show up as easily on darker color suitcases.
What are your luggage likes and dislikes?